27 July 2011

There is No Cure

I heard on Oprah something that I think will stick with me for the rest of my life. 


When it comes to emotional eating, there will never be a cure, it's something that has to be managed.


Seriously, it's that simple folks. 

I think a lot of us jump on this path thinking "once I get there, I'll never have to worry about it again." The IT is the being uncomfortable in our current bodies. I know I did, I was willing to dive into a crash diet just to get the fat off ASAP so I could be done with it, but I know I have to take a different approach.

It was perfect timing to hear that yesterday because it was the first time in a while that I did the eat-for-comfort thing. I had cramps from HELL, and have been under a wee bit of stress lately. Combine that with a lack of working out, and you have the perfect situation for a fat kid takeover.

I didn't think while eating any of it, it was purely to soothe. I enjoyed every bite of it, and then at the end of the day saw that Oprah episode and thought *bingo* this is it! I couldn't manage the stress, or the pain - so I gave it to what I knew would make me feel better aside from curling up in bed with my husband .FOOOD.

It's a simple concept, but takes constant diligence - it's a war within, and there is no winning battle. It can take years to get to a point where it's easier to manage, but the battle will never be won. You have to ACCEPT the fight, each and every day. You have to make a conscious decision, and let go of instant satisfaction and embrace the long term. We have to CONQUER the day, one healthy choice at a time.

For those who are just starting out, start with something simple every day and let it perpetuate from there. Something as simple as taking a fish oil supplement, or multivitamin. Ditching the soda, for water or simply swapping out your normal carbs for a healthier version. It doesn't happen in one day, or a week but it can be done.

For the vets, stop beating yourselves up for choices that you make yourself believe are mistakes. You make the choice, but instead of making an instant choice think about your actions (or inaction) and the latter result.

I'm going to embrace the challenge, and enjoy the war within because it gives me an opportunity every day to win. I can manage the bad habits by acknowledging, and changing my actions but it is a battle of a lifetime.

2 comments:

  1. Soooooo true! I'm an emotional eater and have to watch it closely or that box of cookies ends up empty :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an emotional eater. I eat when I'm hungry/not hungry/happy/sad/angry whatever. I love food. Definitely someting I have to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete