28 July 2011

Finals & The FINAL COUNTDOWN


This is how I felt yesterday...with my PMS NMA (negative mental attitude)
This is how I feel today. A complete 180...

STRESS & FINAL EXAMS

My finals are two days away, and yes I'm in Iraq. I've learned from my dad that life is what you make of it, and working hard now means living easier down the road, plus I am proud of myself for accomplishing the things that I have. I'm so HAPPY to see the light at the end of the tunnel, because after this month...I'm done with school until next year. HAMMER TIME!!



Yeah, so I'm pretty much pumped. 

Stress had taken it's last choke-hold on me the past two weeks. Basically, work has been a complete circus. Without going into much detail, I am one of TWO people who are doing my job here in Iraq - which means, 12 hour days every single day. There's no time to be sick, and barely enough time to work out. Time management is a blessing - I did learn something in school, and in the Air Force. Regardless, I have been getting nothing but rave reviews for the work I am doing here, for changing lackluster processes and speeding up information flow - but my counterpart is the black sheep. He's lazy, has an excuse for everything and doesn't take responsibility for his actions. For him, this is his first deployment - and my third, but this is my first deployment where everyone around is a much higher rank. Normally on a deployment, you "let loose" - you have fun, joke around - it's like summer camp, but you're with your PEERS. For us enlisted, working around officers means we have to respect authority and follow orders (which we should always do, but it's different within the enlisted rank structure - there's more "wiggle room" to ask questions), and put our best foot forward because they are the "people with the power" and there's a reason they get paid the big bucks - when shit hits the fan, they're taking the heat first...y'know, crap rolls down hill. Anyways, so I am picking up the pieces mid-deployment and moving to the opposite shift. That doesn't mean much to most, but it is going to take impeccable planning for the next few days to get everything in working order. 

This whole situation has taught me a great lesson - you can't help those who don't want to be helped. I've been taught this over, and over but it's never really stuck. I've tried to talk to this kid, and explain how he should behave, and why he should take things more seriously. Then, all I hear is "why isn't he doing this?" and I get complaints about him constantly (which is why they're MAKING me move). For me, I take pride in what I do and how I present myself. I don't know how people can just go about, especially in the military, making a joke out of themselves and not thinking about how it reflects on them. 

I have to make myself understand that people don't value the same things I do - and that's okay, but that is their decision to make, not mine. I was told he asked why I didn't "have his back" when I was asked to talk to him about his performance by my superior (I hate when people think you owe them something just because you worked together), and for me - and for most of you I would assume, the answer is simple. I will stand up for what I believe is right, no personal bias involved. Even if I like you, I won't stand up for you if you're doing something wrong. I have ALWAYS taken that stance, and have lost many friends because of it...but I won't compromise my beliefs, nor my values to "have someones back". 

Wooooh. I feel better, thanks for letting me vent.

SO, add that distress, to complete intestinal issues (it may be TMI, but seriously folks...how do you know if you have IBS because SOMETHING ain't right), no working out because I have been studying my BUTT off...and the joys of being in the suck.

This is the last time I am ALLOWING myself to feel completely overwhelmed and stressed out. Just like MANAGING your eating habits, you also need to manage STRESS just the same. 

I'm combating my stress by being prepared, but also being flexible. I'm sitting here, and planning out the next few days with a rough "sketch" of what they'll look like. When my workout and meal times will be, and what tasks need to get finished/started before I make a complete move to the opposite shift.

I know what's stressing me out, now I just have to fight back.

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN


The final countdown FOR THAT LOOK - no more weight people, go for the look. I want those arms!

Just to info you, my hubs has gained 18 lbs - by HIMSELF. Just working out, and eating - 18lbs in 3 months, thanks to some basic principles of lifting and nutrition. He's "genetically gifted" to say the least.

This is my final countdown here.... about 8 weeks left. I'm at the halfway mark and really, the time is flying right by. 

So, it's time to really kick my booty into high gear and make some SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS.

I have three major Focus Areas these next 8 weeks to get me in line with my goals.
1. Follow a rough nutrition plan & track everything that goes into my mouth for the next 8 weeks
2. Follow a structured workout plan, but allow for flexibility
3. Start incorporating the military calisthenics (pushups & situps) and running into workouts

Focus areas are better for me than goals, because goals are destinations and stopping points. For me, a focus area means consistency for a duration.

Think about it: What are your focus areas? What strategies do you use to manage stress?

 

3 comments:

  1. wow!
    stress is an understatement for you right now!
    but it seems you have a good handle on things,and im sure you will make the best of these next 8 weeks and your POA...
    i love your attitude about it all!
    good luck with your exams btw!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for almost being done! I totally know that feeling. Great job for recognizing and dealing with your stress, that's tough. I'm in the ANG (was active for 6 years) so I know exactly what you're talking about. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully that stress is kicked to the curb now.
    Good luck on this final countdown.
    Here's some Motivation

    ReplyDelete